How to Apply - SCC CE
- The online application process for the Surgical Critical Care Certifying Exam is posted each year by mid-May. A notice will be posted on the homepage at that time.
- Applicants are encouraged to begin the application process as early as possible. If you do not complete the application process, any materials or fees submitted cannot be carried over to another year.
- Exam accommodations: Please notify the ABS office at the time of application to the QE if you will need testing accommodations at the center due to learning disabilities by formerly submitting your request per our Examination of Persons with Disabilities policy.
- In addition, if you are a nursing mother, or if you have a medical condition such as injury or diabetes, etc., please inform the ABS at the time of application if you will need accommodations, such as additional break time during the exam, by submitting your request per our Examination Accommodations policy. Requests should be submitted no later than 30 days prior to the applicant’s exam date. Pearson VUE has specific designated centers that are able to offer such accommodations, and these locations fill up on a first come, first served basis. ABS will work with Pearson VUE to make appropriate arrangements.
Applicants still in residency, or from another ABMS surgical board, or who have completed an ACGME-accredited anesthesiology critical care (ACC) program, must contact the exam coordinator
for access to the online application process. The following information must be provided in the request:
- In residency: The names and completion years of both the general surgery and surgical critical care programs.
- Another ABMS board: The name of surgical critical care program and a copy of your primary certificate.
- ACC fellow: Written confirmation of training and training completion date by your ACC fellowship program director or program administrator.
- Once the online application process is available, applicants are required submit the following items. Diplomates must be meeting the requirements of the ABS Continuous Certification Program and hold a current full and unrestricted medical license to apply.
1) Application Form - submitted via the ABS website
This form covers information regarding your undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate medical education.
2) Report of Critical Care Experience
- If you are completing an ACGME-accredited SCC fellowship: Mail a copy of your ACGME Critical Care Patient Report, signed by you and your program director, to the ABS office (original signatures only; no stamps, faxes, scans or photocopies). The report must include a minimum of 200 total critical care patients managed and must meet the required minimums for each category. Patients may fit into multiple categories and may be counted more than once. Patients who die and meet these criteria should be included; there is no limit on number of deaths reported.
All other applicants: Complete and submit the ABS report of critical care experience via the ABS website. All case number requirements must be met.
For each patient, you will provide the patient ID and select the applicable categories:
- Categories: Advanced Mechanical Ventilation; Airway Management – Intubation; Airway Management – Bronchoscopy; Shock Management; Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy; Dysrhythmia Management; Neurologic Management; Hepatic Failure Management; Noninvasive Cardiac Output Monitoring; Nutrition; Gastrointestinal Disorders; Infection; Miscellaneous Procedures*; Injury; Endocrine Disorders; Organ Failure; End-of-Life Care
* Miscellaneous Procedures includes central venous catheter placement, tube thoracostomy, thoracentesis, paracentesis, diagnostic peritoneal lavage, faciotomy, escharotomy and proficiency in management of procedural complications.
3) Signature Form - signed by you and your program director and mailed to the ABS office
4) Nonrefundable Application Fee - paid by credit card via the ABS website
- Submit your credit card payment (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover) where indicated; a completed application form must be submitted first. A separate exam fee will also be required once your application is approved.
- Note: The total application fee due will be based on when your signature form arrives at the ABS office, not the date you submit the application form or fee.
Mailing Your Application Materials
- The signature form (with all required original signatures) should be mailed in one package to the ABS office (1617 JFK Blvd., Ste. 860, Philadelphia, PA 19103).
2020 Application Deadlines & Fees
- By July 1 (initial deadline) - $500
- By July 15 (late deadline) - $700
- No applications will be accepted after July 16. Once your application is approved, a separate exam fee of $1500 will also be required.
- To avoid the late fee, these 4 items must be at the ABS office (not postmarked) by end of business day on the application deadline: (1) application form (via website); (2) report of critical care experience (by mail or website, depending on format); (3) entire signature form with all required, original signatures (by mail); and (4) application fee (via website).
- However your application cannot be approved until ALL required items are present. Please submit your application materials promptly so you may schedule the exam at a testing center of your choosing. The longer you wait to complete the application process, the more likely you will have to travel outside your area to take the exam.
- To confirm delivery of application materials, please track your package through your delivery service. Allow 3-4 weeks for mailed items to be marked "Received" on your application page. Due to volume, the ABS staff is unable to confirm receipt of materials until they have been processed. Please keep a copy of all submitted items as the ABS will not furnish copies.
- Tip: If you are sending items overnight, you do not need to purchase "First Overnight" service. Standard overnight is sufficient.
Once all materials are received, your application will be reviewed by ABS staff. You will be notified via email when your application is complete, and again when your application has been approved. Once approved, you will be sent information on how to register for this year's exam and pay the separate exam fee. If there are any problems with your application, you will be notified by ABS staff. Please keep your contact information current - Update Personal Information.
If you have questions, please refer to our FAQs section. For questions not covered in the FAQs, send an email to the exam coordinator.