How to Register - HPM MOC Exam
The ABS is currently transitioning from an exam application process to an exam registration process that streamlines the process for taking an MOC exam. This new process is still under development for the HPM MOC Exam. The information below will be modified as the new process is finalized.
The Hospice and Palliative Medicine MOC Exam will next be given in the fall of 2018. Diplomates are eligible to register for the exam starting 3 years before their certificate's expiration; this includes the final year of certificate validity.
- Diplomates must be meeting the requirements of the ABS MOC Program and have a current full and unrestricted medical license to register. Please note the online forms must be usedhandwritten or other versions will not be accepted.
- Once logged into the registration process, you first will be asked to review and update your personal and practice information. You must hold a current full and unrestricted medical license. If your license will expire before the exam, you will need to provide updated information when available.
- You must then submit the following items:
1) HPM Experience Form - submitted via the ABS website
- This form will ask for a description of your HPM clinical experience from the past 12 months, including patient care, teaching of residents, administration of hospice program, etc.
2) Two Reference Forms - to be completed by applicant's HPM supervisor and chair of credentials
- Enter information in this area for the two physicians who will complete your reference forms. The forms should be completed by the director of HPM or similar physician and the chair of credentials at the hospital or medical center where you perform most of your work
- If you hold one of these positions, or if they are held by the same person, another physician of comparable rank should complete the form. The two forms cannot be filled out by the same person. They also should not be completed by a relative or someone with whom you have a close personal relationship.
- Once you complete this area, the references forms will automatically be sent via email to these individuals through the ABS website. The two individuals you have designated will complete and submit the reference forms online. The ABS reference forms must be used; we cannot accept letters in their place.
3) Registration Fee
- paid by credit card via the ABS website
- Submit your credit card payment (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover) where indicated. Note that this is now a combined fee, encompassing our prior application and exam fees.
4) Attestation - submitted via the ABS website
- This is a brief legal form that is the final step in the registration process. This form will be available for completion once all other items are received.
- You will be notified by email when your registration has been approved; you can also check the status on your exam registration page.
- Once your registration is approved, an exam admission authorization letter will be posted on your exam registration page within 24-48 hours. The letter will contain instructions on reserving a place at a computer-testing center. You must have this letter to reserve a testing center spot.
- If there are any problems with your registration, you will be notified by email by ABS staff. Please keep your contact information current - update personal information.
Please also refer to our
area. As noted above, this new process is still in development and further information will be posted as it becomes available. Questions may be sent via email to the