How to Register - HPM MOC Exam
The ABS is currently transitioning from an exam application process to an exam registration process that streamlines the process for taking an MOC exam. This new process is still under development for the HPM MOC Exam. The information below will be modified as the new process is finalized.
The Hospice and Palliative Medicine MOC Exam will next be given in the fall of 2018. Diplomates are eligible to register for the exam starting 3 years before their certificate's expiration; this includes the final year of certificate validity.
- Diplomates must be meeting the requirements of the ABS MOC Program and have a current full and unrestricted medical license to register. Please note the online forms must be usedhandwritten or other versions will not be accepted.
- Once the online application/registration process is available, diplomates must submit the following items. Diplomates will also be expected to update their personal and practice information as needed.
1) HPM Experience Form - submitted via the ABS website
- This form will ask for a description of your HPM clinical experience from the past 12 months, including patient care, teaching of residents, administration of hospice program, etc.
2) Two Reference Forms - to be completed by applicant's HPM supervisor and chair of credentials and mailed to the ABS office
- You can print these forms once you log into the online registration process. The forms should then be completed by the director of HPM or similar physician and the chair of credentials at the hospital or medical center where you perform most of your work (Hospital No. 1). Only one set of reference forms is required. The ABS reference forms must be used; we cannot accept letters in their place.
- If you hold one of these positions or if these positions are held by the same person, have another physician of comparable rank fill out the second form. The two forms cannot be filled out by the same individual.
Original signatures are requiredno faxes, scans or photocopies.
- paid by credit card via the ABS website
- Submit your credit card payment (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover) where indicated. Note that this is now a combined fee, encompassing our prior application and examination fees. See next section for additional details.NOTE: The ABIM requires an extra $500 if the exam is to be taken at a testing center outside North and South America.
As noted above, this new process is still in development and further information will be posted as it becomes available. Questions may be sent via email to the