Flexible Endoscopy Curriculum
Flexible Endoscopy Curriculum (pdf)
- In March 2014, the ABS announced a new requirement to ensure all ABS-certified general surgeons have completed a standard curriculum in the use of endoscopic techniques. This new requirement will apply to certification applicants who complete their residency training in the 2017-2018 academic year or thereafter.
- During their general surgery residency, applicants will be required to have completed the ABS Flexible Endoscopy Curriculum (pdf).
About the Curriculum
- The Flexible Endoscopy Curriculum provides a stepwise instructional program for residents to acquire the essential knowledge and skills to perform flexible endoscopy. It contains five levels; for each level, there are a variety of suggested resources, including direct links to content on the SCORE Portal (www.surgicalcore.org).
- The ABS is not mandating the use of any particular resource and encourages programs to take advantage of the resources for endoscopic training already present at their institution. Purchase of a simulator is not necessary.
Resident Progress Tracking
Programs should track residents' progress by documenting when each level of the Flexible Endoscopy Curriculum is completed. The ABS will collect this information each year as part of its resident roster update. In addition, when signing an individual's application for certification, the program director will be asked to attest that the curriculum has been completed.
It is expected that:
- Level I will be completed in PGY-1 or PGY-2
- Level II will be completed in PGY-1 or PGY-2
- Level III will be completed in PGY-2 or PGY-3
- Level IV will be completed in PGY-3 or PGY-4
- Level V will be completed by the end of PGY-4 or early PGY-5
- The Association of Program Directors in Surgery has posted a video of a workshop on how programs can implement the curriculum at their institution.
- SAGES has posted a video webinar about flexible endoscopy, the Flexible Endoscopy Curriculum, and how to pass the FES exam.
For questions regarding the Flexible Endoscopy Curriculum, please contact the ABS coordinator.