About 3-year reporting
Enter Your CME
Go to 2) MOC CME Repository. Click "Edit Form," then use the "Add CME" button to enter your CME. The ABS requires 90 Category 1 CME credits over a 3-year cycle, with at least 60 of the 90 credits including self-assessment (i.e., a quiz or test, with at least a 75% passing score). If you have not yet completed the required CME, you may do so prior to March 1.
The links and authorization codes to transfer your CME from the American College of Surgeons* or SAGES are also posted in this section, below the "Edit Form" link.
The ABS will waive some CME and self-assessment for certification or recertification by the ABS or another ABMS board, or for completion of accredited fellowship training during a 3-year cycle. See our MOC Part 2 page for more details.
* ACS Transfer Instructions: The ACS transfer link will take you to the My CME section of the ACS website. Log in with your ACS credentials, then click "Send to ABS" and then "Agree." Enter your ABS authorization number, then select the date range. Once the CME appears, click "Yes." The transfer will occur within 1-2 minutes.
Complete the MOC Status Form
Once your CME has been entered or transferred, proceed to 3) MOC Status Form. Click "Edit Form" to enter the rest of your information. You will be asked to:
- Provide information about your current medical license.
- Indicate whether you completed a fellowship in the last three years, and if so, provide information about your training.
- List where you hold or held any type of privileges during the three-year cycle (or explain your lack of privileges, e.g., you are clinically inactive).
- Provide contact information for the chief of surgery and chair of credentials at the institution where you performed most of your work. If necessary, another physician of comparable rank may be listed.
- Indicate or describe the outcomes registry or quality assessment activity in which you are participating. No data is collected. See our MOC Part 4 page for more details.
- At the conclusion of the form, attest to the accuracy of the information provided and acknowledge the ABS may contact you or the institutions involved to verify this information.
Submit the MOC Status Form
Once the form is completed, click "Save and Exit" to return to the MOC Status & Form page. You must then click "Submit and Lock Form" to submit your form to the ABS. You will be sent an email confirming that your form has been submitted.