CE - Site Selection and Assignment
The information below outlines the process for selecting and confirming a CE assignment.
Step 1: Obtain a Tentative CE Assignment
- Once CE dates and sites for the upcoming academic year are posted in the spring, eligible candidates should sign up for an exam as soon as possible through the link posted on their Exam Records and Results page. You must select a CE site no later than Sept. 20 for that academic year.
- All CE sites have a fixed capacity. Sites are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Failure to select a CE site for the academic year is considered a lost exam opportunity.
- When you sign up for an available site, you will be given a tentative assignment. You can only have one tentative assignment at a time. Tentative assignments are not guaranteed. A tentative assignment may be cancelled or changed without penalty by sending an email to the exam coordinator.
Step 2: Register for the CE
- Once you have a tentative assignment, we encourage you to check your Exam Records and Results page often for updates. Within 10 days of selecting a tentative assignment, you will be mailed a letter with instructions on how to register for the exam and a link to the CE registration process will be posted on your Exam Records and Results page.
To register for a CE, you must hold a full and unrestricted medical license (U.S. or Canada). Temporary, educational or restricted licenses will not be accepted, even if you are currently in a fellowship.
To register for the exam and convert your tentative assignment to a final assignment, you must submit the following by the deadline stated on the registration letter:
- Completed online registration form (requires valid full and unrestricted medical license)
- Nonrefundable exam fee of $1100 (credit cards only)
- Both of the above must be submitted by the deadline date to receive a final assignment. Each exam is limited to 300 candidates; if you do not convert your tentative assignment to a final assignment by the deadline, your tentative assignment may be given to someone on the wait list.
- Once the two items above are received and your medical license verified, you will be registered for the CE and your final assignment, with a specific exam date and time, will be posted on your Exam Records and Results page. An exam admission card and additional information will be mailed to you 4-6 weeks prior to the exam date.
A final assignment means you have a guaranteed spot, but it is irrevocable and unchangeable once given. Once you have received a final assignment, exam fees will not be refunded if you subsequently change your mind or fail to show up.
- If you wish to take the CE at a site that is already filled, you may place yourself on the wait list for that site. You can only be on the wait list for one CE site at a time.
- You are allowed to be on the wait list for a CE site while holding a tentative or final assignment for another CE site. It is highly recommended that you register for another CE site while on a wait list to ensure you will have an exam spot in the academic year.
- Any unfilled slots will be offered 3 weeks before a CE to wait-listed candidates. To register and lock in a final assignment, you must submit a completed registration form and exam fee as described in the previous section. Once registered, your final assignment will be posted on your Exam Records and Results page. An admission card and additional information will be mailed to you.
If you have questions regarding the above information, please see our FAQs section. For questions not covered in the FAQs, please contact the exam coordinator.