ABS Journal Articles
Links go to the article's listing in PubMed, unless free access has been granted by the journal.
- Napolitano LM, Biester TW, Jurkovich GJ, et al. General surgery resident rotations in surgical critical care, trauma, and burns: what is optimal for residency training?. Am J Surg. 2016;212(4):629-637.
- Malangoni MA. Maintenance of Certification. Adv Surg. 2016;50(1):105-14.
- Abdullah F, Salazar JH, Gause CD, et al. Understanding the operative experience of the practicing pediatric surgeon. JAMA Surg. 2016;151(8):735-41
- Buyske J. Forks in the road: the assessment of surgeons from the American Board of Surgery perspective. Surg Clin North Am. 2016;96(1):139-46.
- FIRST Trial: Bilimoria KY, Chung JW, Hedges LV, et al. National cluster-randomized trial of duty-hour flexibility in surgical training. (free access) N Engl J Med. 2016; 374:713-727.
- Klingensmith ME, Cogbill TH, Luchette F, et al. Factors influencing the decision of surgery residency graduates to pursue general surgery practice versus fellowship. Ann Surg. 2015;262(3):449-55.
- Klingensmith ME, Cogbill TH, Samonte K, Jones A, Malangoni MA. Practice administration training needs of recent general surgery graduates. Surgery. 2015;158(3):773-6.
- Malangoni M. The American Board of Surgery Maintenance of Certification Program: building on past successes. JAMA Surg. 2015;150(8):697-8.
- Jones AT, Biester TW, Lewis FR Jr, Malangoni MA. Review courses for the American Board of Surgery certifying examination do not provide an advantage. Surgery. 2015;158(4):890-6.
- Cogbill TH, Klingensmith ME, Jones AT, Biester TW, Malangoni MA. Resident preparation for careers in general surgery: a survey of program directors. J Surg Educ. 2015;72(6):e251-7.
- Bilimoria KY, Hoyt DB, Lewis F. Making the case for investigating flexibility in duty hour limits for surgical residents. JAMA Surg. 2015;150(6):503-504.
- Rajaram R, Chung JW, Jones AT, et al. Association of the 2011 ACGME resident duty hour reform with general surgery patient outcomes and with resident examination performance. JAMA. 2014;312(22):2374-84.
- American Board of Surgery; American College of Surgeons; Association of Program Directors in Surgery; Association for Surgical Education. Statement on surgical pre-residency preparatory courses (free access). J Am Coll Surg. 2014;219(5):851-2. Also in American Journal of Surgery, American Surgeon, Annals of Surgery, JAMA Surgery, Journal of Surgical Education, Surgery, and World Journal of Surgery
- Malangoni MA. Protecting patients while advancing education. J Am Coll Surg. 2014;219(4):787.
- Rikkers LF, Hoyt DB, Flum DR, Malangoni MA. Quality: the key to surgery's future. Ann Surg. 2014;260(4):567-76.
- Lewis FR. Commentary on "Resident work-hour restrictions and responsibilities to patients". Ann Surg. 2014;259(6):1054-5.
- Jones AT, Biester TW, Buyske J, Lewis FR, Malangoni MA. Using the American Board of Surgery In-Training Examination to predict board certification: a cautionary study. J Surg Educ. 2014 Nov-Dec;71(6):e144-8.
- Cogbill TH, Malangoni MA, Potts JR, Valentine RJ. The general surgery milestones project. J Am Coll Surg. 2014;218(5):1056-62.
- Klingensmith ME, Jones AT, Smiley W, Biester TW, Malangoni MA. Subscription to the SCORE web portal and qualifying examination performance. J Am Coll Surg. 2014;218(4):566-70.
- Biester TW, Rubright JD, Jones AT, Malangoni MA. Does success on the American Board of Surgery general surgery qualifying examination guarantee certifying examination success? J Surg Educ. 2012;69(6):731-4.
- Lewis FR, Klingensmith ME. Issues in general surgery residency training-2012. Ann Surg. 2012;256(4):553-9.
- Malangoni MA, Jones AT, Rubright J, Biester TW, Buyske J, Lewis FR. Delay in taking the American Board of Surgery qualifying examination affects examination performance. Surgery. 2012;152(4):738-43.
- Borman KR, Jones AT, Shea JA. Duty hours, quality of care, and patient safety: general surgery resident perceptions. J Am Coll Surg. 2012;215(1):70-7.
- Borman KR, Biester TW, Jones AT, Shea JA. Sleep, supervision, education, and service: views of junior and senior residents. J Surg Ed. 2011;68(6):495-501.
- Jones AT. Comparing methods for item analysis: the impact of different item selection statistics on test difficulty. Appl Psychol Meas. 2011;35(7):566-571.
- Hanks JB, Ashley SW, Mahvi DM, et al. Feast or famine?: the variable impact of coexisting fellowships on general surgery resident operative volumes. Ann Surg. 2011;254(3):476-485.
- Valentine JR, Jones AT, Biester TW, Cogbill TH, Borman KR, Rhodes RS. General surgery workloads and practice patterns in the United States, 2007-2009: a 10-year update from the American Board of Surgery. Ann Surg. 2011;2 54(3):520-526.
- Rhodes RS. Invited commentary. J Vasc Surg. 2011;53(2):525-527.
- Schmitz CC, Risucci D, Plass J, Jones A, DaRosa DA. Preimplementation predictors of website use: preliminary findings from the SCORE Portal Pilot Study. Am J Surg. 2011;201:7-15.
- Lipner R, Song H, Biester T, Rhodes R. Factors that influence general internists' and surgeons' performance on maintenance of certification exams. Acad Med. 2011;86(1):53-58.
- Eidt JF, Mills J, Rhodes RS, et al. Comparison of surgical operative experience of trainees and practicing vascular surgeons: a report from the Vascular Surgery Board of the American Board of Surgery. J Vasc Surg. 2011;53(4):1130-1139.
- Bucholz EM, Sue GR, Yeo H, Roman SA, Bell RH Jr, Sosa JA. Our trainees' confidence: results from a national survey of 4136 US general surgery residents. Arch Surg. 2011;146(8):907-914.
- Sue GR, Bucholz EM, Yeo H, et al. The vulnerable stage of dedicated research years of general surgery residency: results of a national survey. Arch Surg. 2011;146(6):653-658.
- Moalem J, Edhayan E, DaRosa DA, et al. Incorporating the SCORE curriculum and web site into your residency. J Surg Ed. 2011;68(4):294-297.
- Pugh CM, Watson A, Bell RH Jr, et al. Surgical education in the internet era. J Surg Res. 2009;156(2):177-182.
- Buyske J. For the protection of the public and the good of the specialty: maintenance of certification. Arch Surg. 2009;144(2) :101-103.
- Bell RH Jr, Biester TW, Tabuenca A, et al. Operative experience of residents in US general surgery programs: a gap between expectation and experience. Ann Surg. 2009;249(5) :719-724.
- Yeo H, Viola K, Berg D, et al. Attitudes, training experiences, and professional expectations of US general surgery residents: a national survey. JAMA. 2009;302(12) :1301-1308.
- Bell RH Jr. Why Johnny cannot operate. Surgery. 2009;146(4) :533-542.
- Lewis FR Jr. Commentary. J Am Coll Surg. 2009;209(3) :404-405.
- Lewis FR. Comment of the American Board of Surgery on the recommendations of the Institute of Medicine Report, "Resident Duty Hours: Enhancing Sleep, Supervision, and Safety." Surgery. 2009;146(3):410-419.
- Rhodes RS. Maintenance of certification. Am Surg. 2007;73(2):143-147.
- Rhodes RS, Biester TW. Certification and maintenance of certification in surgery.Surg Clin North Am. 2007;87(4):825-836.
- Bell RH Jr, Banker MB, Rhodes RS, Biester TW, Lewis FR. Graduate medical education in surgery in the United States. Surg Clin North Am. 2007;87(4):811-823.
- Rhodes RS, Biester TW, Bell RH Jr, Lewis FR Jr. Assessing surgical knowledge: a primer on the examination policies of the American Board of Surgery. J Surg Ed. 2007;64(3):138-142.
- Sachdeva AK, Bell RH Jr, Britt LD, Tarpley JL, Blair PG, Tarpley MJ. National efforts to reform residency education in surgery. Acad Med. 2007;82(12):1200-1210.
- Bell RH. Surgical Council on Resident Education: a new organization devoted to graduate surgical education. J Am Coll Surg. 2007;204(3):341-346.
1999 and Previous