How to Apply - SCC CE
- The online application process for the Surgical Critical Care Certifying Exam is posted each year by mid-May. A notice will be posted on the homepage at that time.
- Applicants are encouraged to begin the application process as early as possible. If you do not complete the application process, any materials or fees submitted cannot be carried over to another year.
- Exam accommodations: Accommodations for documented learning disabilities must be requested by the initial application deadline (view policy). Individuals who will need accommodations at the testing center due to injury, breast feeding, diabetes, etc., should notify the ABS in writing when applying.
Applicants still in residency or from another ABMS board must contact the exam coordinator
for access to the online application process.
- Once the online application process is available, applicants are required submit the following items. Diplomates must be meeting the requirements of the ABS Continuous Certification Program and hold a current full and unrestricted medical license to apply.
1) Application Form - submitted via the ABS website
This form covers information regarding your undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate medical education.
2) Report of Critical Care Experience
- If you are completing an ACGME-accredited SCC fellowship this year: Mail a copy of your ACGME Critical Care Patient Report, signed by you and your program director, to the ABS office (original signatures only; no stamps, faxes, scans or photocopies). The report must include all patients seen from July 1, 2016 to time of application (minimum of 50) who meet 2 or more categories, regardless of length of ICU stay. Patients who die and meet these criteria should be included; there is no limit on number of deaths reported.
All other applicants: Complete and submit online the ABS report of critical care experience. You must enter a minimum of 50 patients from your fellowship who meet 2 or more categories, regardless of length of ICU stay. Patients who die and meet these criteria should be included; there is no limit on number of deaths reported.
For each patient, you will enter age and number of days in ICU, then select the applicable categories and procedures:
- Categories: Advanced Mechanical Ventilation; Shock Management; Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy; Dysrhythmia Management; Neurologic Management; Hepatic Failure Management; Noninvasive Cardiac Output Monitoring; Extracorporeal Therapies
- Procedures: Intubation; Bronchoscopy; Tracheostomy; Central Venous Catheter; Arterial Line; Pulmonary Artery Catheter; Tube Thoracostomy; Thoracentesis/Paracentesis; Fasciotomy; Escharotomy; Ultrasound
3) Signature Form - signed by you and your program director and mailed to the ABS office
4) Nonrefundable Application Fee - paid by credit card via the ABS website
- Submit your credit card payment (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover) where indicated; a completed application form must be submitted first. A separate exam fee will also be required once your application is approved.
- Note: The total application fee due will be based on when your signature form arrives at the ABS office, not the date you submit the application form or fee.
Mailing Your Application Materials
- The signature form (with all required original signatures) should be mailed in one package to the ABS office (1617 JFK Blvd., Ste. 860, Philadelphia, PA 19103).
2018 Application Deadlines & Fees
- By July 2 (initial deadline) - $450
- By July 16 (late deadline) - $650
- No applications will be accepted after July 16. Once your application is approved, a separate exam fee of $1400 will also be required.
- To avoid the late fee, these 4 items must be at the ABS office (not postmarked) by end of business day on the application deadline: (1) application form (via website); (2) report of critical care experience (by mail or website, depending on format); (3) entire signature form with all required, original signatures (by mail); and (4) application fee (via website).
- However your application cannot be approved until ALL required items are present. Please submit your application materials promptly so you may schedule the exam at a testing center of your choosing. The longer you wait to complete the application process, the more likely you will have to travel outside your area to take the exam.
- To confirm delivery of application materials, please track your package through your delivery service. Allow 3-4 weeks for mailed items to be marked "Received" on your application page. Due to volume, the ABS staff is unable to confirm receipt of materials until they have been processed. Please keep a copy of all submitted items as the ABS will not furnish copies.
- Tip: If you are sending items overnight, you do not need to purchase "First Overnight" service. Standard overnight is sufficient.
Once all materials are received, your application will be reviewed by ABS staff. You will be notified via email when your application is complete, and again when your application has been approved. Once approved, you will be sent information on how to register for this year's exam and pay the separate exam fee. If there are any problems with your application, you will be notified by ABS staff. Please keep your contact information current - Update Personal Information.
If you have questions, please refer to our FAQs section. For questions not covered in the FAQs, send an email to the exam coordinator.