How to Apply - HPM CE
- The next Hospice and Palliative Medicine Certifying Exam will be given in the fall of 2022.
- Applicants are encouraged to begin the application process as early as possible. If you do not complete the application process, any materials and fees already submitted cannot be carried over to the next exam.
All applicants must contact the
for access to the online application process. Please include your name, program, program director, and year of completion. If you are from another ABMS surgical board, please include the board and your certificate number.
- Once the online application process is available, applicants are required submit the following:
1) Application Form - submitted via the ABS website
- This form covers information regarding your undergraduate and graduate medical education. You will also enter information about your training in hospice and palliative medicine.
2) Signature Form - signed by you and your program director and mailed to the ABS office
- The signature form summarizes the information entered on the application form. The entire form must be printed and mailed with the original signatures (no signature stamps, faxes, scans or photocopies). It must be signed by the applicant and the individual who served as program director during his or her training. Only the program director may sign the form, no other official.
To avoid the late fee, the signature form must contain
required, original signatures and arrive by the application deadline.
- paid by credit card via the ABS website
- Submit your credit card payment (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover) where indicated; a completed application form must be submitted first. A separate exam fee will also be required once your application is approved.
The ABIM requires an extra $500 if the exam is to be taken at a testing center outside North and South America.
The total application fee due will be based on when your signature form arrives at the ABS office,
the date you submit the application form or fee.
4) Full & Unrestricted Medical License - photocopy mailed to the ABS office
- Photocopy of your current medical license registration (U.S. or Canada), with the expiration date visible.
Diplomates of other surgical boards must also provide a photocopy of their current board certificate.
Mailing Your Application Materials
- The signature form (with all required original signatures), photocopy of medical license and any other applicable documentation (certificates, etc.) should be
mailed in one package
to the ABS office (1617 JFK Blvd., Ste. 860, Philadelphia, PA 19103).
- To avoid the late fee, these 3 items must be at the ABS office (not postmarked) by end of business day on May 1: (1) application form (via website); (2) entire signature form with all required, original signatures (by mail); and (3) application fee (via website).
However your application cannot be approved until ALL required items are present. Please submit your application materials promptly so you may schedule the exam at a testing center of your choosing. The longer you wait to complete the application process, the more likely you will have to travel outside your area to take the exam.
To confirm delivery of application materials, please track your package through your delivery service. Allow
for mailed items to be marked "Received" on your application page. Due to volume, the ABS staff is unable to confirm receipt of materials until they have been processed. Please keep a copy of all submitted items as the ABS will not furnish copies.
Tip: If you are sending items overnight, you do not need to purchase "First Overnight" service. Standard overnight is sufficient.
Once all materials are received, your application will be reviewed by ABS staff. You will be notified via email when your application is complete, and again when your application has been approved. Once approved, you will be sent information on how to register for this year's exam and pay the separate exam fee. If there are any problems with your application, you will be notified by ABS staff. Please keep your contact information current -
Update Personal Information.
If you have questions, please refer to our FAQs
section. For questions not covered in the FAQs, send an email to the exam coordinator.