Common questions about interntional training

FAQs - International Training

No. The request must come from your residency program director, once you are enrolled in an ACGME-accredited program. The ABS offers credit only toward general surgery or vascular surgery training. Please see our International Training page for further information.
Yes. A certificate issued by the ECFMG is required for all international medical graduates. The certificate must be valid indefinitely for all international medical graduates who complete an ACGME-accredited surgery residency program in the United States. International medical graduates who complete a Canadian surgery residency program accredited by the RCPSC will have an ECFMG certificate with a "valid until" date. The valid until date must be after the date of application to the ABS.