General Surgery CE Registration
The information below outlines the process for selecting and confirming a CE assignment.
Register for the CE
- Once CE dates for the upcoming academic year are posted, eligible candidates should sign up for an exam as soon as possible through the link posted on their Exam Records and Results page.
- All CE dates have a fixed capacity. Dates are filled on a first-come, first-served basis, and each exam is limited to 900 candidates. Failure to select a CE date for the academic year is considered a lost exam opportunity.
A full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the U.S. or Canada is not required to register for the CE. However, a full and unrestricted state medical license will be required before a candidate will be considered certified by the ABS.
To register for the exam, you must submit the following online through the ABS portal:
- Completed online registration form
- Nonrefundable exam fee (credit cards only)
- Once the two items above are submitted, you will be registered for the CE and your final assignment, with a specific exam date and time, will be posted on your Exam Records and Results page. An exam admission card and additional information will be posted to your ABS portal three weeks prior to the exam date.
A final assignment means you have a guaranteed spot, but it is irrevocable and unchangeable once given. Once you have received a final assignment, exam fees will not be refunded if you subsequently change your mind or fail to show up.
- If you wish to take the CE on a date that is already filled, you may place yourself on the wait list for that date. You can only be on the wait list for one CE date at a time.
- You are allowed to be on the wait list for a CE date while holding a final assignment for another CE date. It is highly recommended that you register for another CE date while on a wait list to ensure you will have an exam spot in the academic year.
- Any unfilled slots will be offered three weeks before a CE to wait-listed candidates. To register and lock in a final assignment, you must submit a completed registration form and exam fee as described in the previous section. Once registered, your final assignment will be posted on your Exam Records and Results page.
If you have questions regarding the above information, please see our FAQs section. For questions not covered in the FAQs, please contact the exam coordinator.