General Surgery CE Registration
Candidates who were registered for the July 2020 General Surgery Qualifying Exam will be able to take the Certifying Exam prior to passing the Qualifying Exam. Candidates who choose this path will still need to pass both examinations in order to be certified by the American Board of Surgery. The requirement for candidates to hold a full and unrestricted state medical license to register for the CE will be waived for those who choose to take the CE first. A full and unrestricted state medical license will be required before a candidate will be considered certified by the ABS.
The information below outlines the process for selecting and confirming a CE assignment.
Register for the CE
- Once CE dates for the upcoming academic year are posted, eligible candidates should sign up for an exam as soon as possible through the link posted on their Exam Records and Results page.
- All CE dates have a fixed capacity. Dates are filled on a first-come, first-served basis, and each exam is limited to 300 candidates. Failure to select a CE date for the academic year is considered a lost exam opportunity.
To register for a CE, you must hold a full and unrestricted medical license (U.S. or Canada). Temporary, educational or restricted licenses will not be accepted, even if you are currently in a fellowship.
To register for the exam, you must submit the following online through the ABS portal:
- Completed online registration form (requires valid full and unrestricted medical license)
- Nonrefundable exam fee (credit cards only)
- Once the two items above are submitted and your medical license verified, you will be registered for the CE and your final assignment, with a specific exam date and time, will be posted on your Exam Records and Results page. An exam admission card and additional information will be mailed to you 4-6 weeks prior to the exam date.
A final assignment means you have a guaranteed spot, but it is irrevocable and unchangeable once given. Once you have received a final assignment, exam fees will not be refunded if you subsequently change your mind or fail to show up.
- If you wish to take the CE on a date that is already filled, you may place yourself on the wait list for that date. You can only be on the wait list for one CE date at a time.
- You are allowed to be on the wait list for a CE date while holding a final assignment for another CE date. It is highly recommended that you register for another CE date while on a wait list to ensure you will have an exam spot in the academic year.
- Any unfilled slots will be offered 3 weeks before a CE to wait-listed candidates. To register and lock in a final assignment, you must submit a completed registration form and exam fee as described in the previous section. Once registered, your final assignment will be posted on your Exam Records and Results page. An admission card and additional information will be mailed to you.
If you have questions regarding the above information, please see our FAQs section. For questions not covered in the FAQs, please contact the exam coordinator.