Complex General Surgical Oncology Qualifying Exam
- The CGSO Qualifying Examination is offered once annually as the first of two exams required for board certification in complex general surgical oncology. It contains approximately 200 multiple-choice questions designed to assess a surgeon's cognitive knowledge of CGSO. See also the exam's content outline (pdf).
- It is a one-day exam lasting approximately 5 hours and is held at computer-testing facilities across the U.S. The exam is administered in three 90-minute sessions, with optional breaks between sessions. Once a session has concluded, you will not be able to revisit those questions.
- Results are posted approximately 4 to 8 weeks after the exam. The exam's contents are copyrighted and may not be reproduced or disclosed in any manner.
Sept. 11, 2017
July 5 (initial deadline) and July 17 (late deadline).
The online application process will be posted by end of April it is not yet available.
To be eligible for this exam, applicants must:
- Individuals who meet ABS requirements may apply for the exam through the online application process, which is posted in early spring (see How to Apply). After your application is approved, you will be sent instructions on how to register for this year's exam.
- Once you are registered for the exam, you will be mailed an exam admission authorization letter with final details and instructions on reserving a place at a computer-testing center. You must have this letter to reserve a testing center spot.
- Active duty military personnel who may encounter difficulty taking the exam due to their service should contact the ABS as soon as possible.
- Once your application is approved, you will be granted a maximum of 5 opportunities within a 5-year period to pass the exam. If you decide not to take the exam in a given year, it is a lost opportunity as the five-year limit is absolute.
- During the five-year period, individuals who postponed or were unsuccessful will be contacted regarding the next exam; a new application is not necessary.
- Individuals who exhaust their five-year admissibility period should contact the ABS regarding the readmissibility requirements in effect at that time.
CGSO Certifying Exam
- Upon successful completion of the CGSO Qualifying Exam, you will be admissible to the CGSO Certifying Exam, an oral exam, and will be contacted with registration information for the next exam.
For specific inquiries, please send an email to the exam coordinator.