Re-entering the ABS MOC Program
Enter Your CME: Go to 2) MOC CME Repository. Click "Edit Form" to add your missing CME activities to the repository. You need only enter enough CME to meet the amount required.
The links and authorization codes to transfer your CME from the American College of Surgeons (ACS) or SAGES to the repository will also be posted in this area, below the "Edit Form" link.
- CME Required: For each 3-year cycle, 90 credits of Category 1 CME related to your practice are required. Out of the 90 credits, 60 credits must include self-assessmenta written or electronic question-and-answer activity. The activity must require a passing score of at least 75%. Diplomates must be able to furnish proof of CME if requested. See our MOC Part 2 page for more details.
Complete the MOC Status Form: Once your CME has been added or transferred, proceed to 3) MOC Status Form. Click "Edit Form" to enter the rest of your information. You will be asked to:
- Provide the state and registration number of your valid, full and unrestricted medical license for the state where you primarily practice.
- Indicate whether you completed a fellowship during any missed three-year cycle(s), and if so, provide information about your training.
- List where you hold or held any type of privileges during the three-year cycle(s) (or explain your lack of privileges, e.g., you are clinically inactive).
- Provide contact information for the chief of surgery and chair of credentials at the institution where you performed most of your work. If necessary, another physician of comparable rank may be listed.
- Indicate or describe the outcomes registry or quality assessment activity in which you are participating. No data is collected. See our MOC Part 4 page for more details.
- At the conclusion of the form, you will be asked to attest to the accuracy of the information you have submitted and acknowledge that the ABS may contact you or the institutions involved to verify this information. Then click "Save and Exit" to exit the form.
Re-entry Fee: Then go to 4) Re-entry Fee. Payment of an administrative re-entry fee by credit card will be required prior to submitting the MOC Status Form. The re-entry fees are $300 for 1 three-year cycle missed; $600 for 2 cycles missed; and $900 for 3 or more cycles missed.
Once your form and fee have been submitted, you will be considered as meeting the requirements of the ABS MOC Program. Please note, however, that the information you entered on the MOC Status Form is subject to audit. If you have questions regarding this process, please contact our MOC coordinator.
Updated: February 2015