Continuous Certification documents a surgeon's ongoing commitment to professionalism, lifelong learning, and practice improvement following initial board certification. The new ABS Continuous Certification Program has been designed to provide flexible, high-quality, practice-related learning and assessment to support surgeons in their practice. As such, the ABS no longer issues 10-year certificates for general surgery, vascular surgery, pediatric surgery, surgical critical care or complex general surgical oncology.
Aug. 10, 2020
Assessment Window: Sept. 7-Nov. 16, 2020
Continuous Certification Assessment
As part of this program, an online assessment process has been introduced to replace the traditional recertification exam.
Diplomates will use the new assessment process to demonstrate their surgical knowledge on a continual basis. The assessments focus on the latest and most important developments in practice to assist diplomates in staying up to date.
Once a diplomate registers for their first assessment, they are enrolled in the Continuous Certification Program.
2020 Assessment Timeline
- Registration for the general surgery, vascular surgery, pediatric surgery and surgical critical care assessments will be open on Aug. 10, 2020. The assessment will be available Sept. 7 to Nov. 16.
- Diplomates will have up to two weeks to complete the assessment once they begin, with the opportunity to save their progress and continue at a later time during this two-week period. The last day to begin the assessment to ensure that you have the full two weeks is Monday, Nov. 2, 2020.
- Once a diplomate registers for their first assessment, they are enrolled in the Continuous Certification Program.
Staying in Touch
- Please keep your contact information up to date to ensure that you receive important ABS emails about your status.
- With the help of feedback from nearly 10,000 diplomates, we have designed the Continuous Certification Program to support surgeons in providing high-quality care while upholding the high standards of ABS certification. We will continue to reach out to hear from diplomates as we proceed.
- See our New Assessment Enrollment page for more about these assessments.