How to Apply - Vascular Surgery QE
- The online application process for the Vascular Surgery Qualifying Exam is posted each year in early spring. A notice will be posted on the homepage at that time.
- Applicants are encouraged to begin the application process as early as possible. If you do not complete the application process, any materials or fees submitted cannot be carried over to another year.
- Exam accommodations: Accommodations for documented learning disabilities must be requested by the initial application deadline (view policy). Individuals who will need accommodations due to medical-related conditions (injury, breast feeding, etc.) should notify the ABS when applying.
- The application process for 2016 has closed. When the online application process is available, applicants are required submit the following:
1) Application Form - submitted via the ABS website
- This form covers information regarding your undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate medical education. For your vascular surgery training, you must list chronologically all rotations and activities from the beginning of training. Each rotation must be listed separately by clinical activity, not grouped together as a yearly total.
- You must also list all time away from training of two days or more, including time taken for research, vacation, interviews, meetings, medical leave, visa issues, etc., outside your normally scheduled days off.
2) Operative Experience Report
- All cases cited must be from your fellowship. Applicants may either submit the ABS operative experience report via the ABS website or mail a paper copy of their entire ACGME Resident Experience Report by Role, signed by both applicant and program director, to the ABS office (original signatures onlyno signature stamps, faxes, scans or photocopies).
- Note: Applicants who completed an integrated vascular surgery program must also include an operative report covering their core surgery experience.
3) Signature Form - signed by you and your program director and mailed to the ABS office
- The signature form summarizes the information entered on the application form and operative report. The entire form must be printed and mailed with the original signatures (no signature stamps, faxes, scans or photocopies). It must be signed by the applicant and the individual who served as program director during his or her training. Only the program director may sign the form, no other official.
- Note: To avoid the late fee, the signature form must contain all required, original signatures (applicant and program director) and arrive by the application deadline.
4) Nonrefundable Application Fee - paid by credit card via the ABS website
- Submit your credit card payment (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover) where indicated; a completed application form must be submitted first. A separate exam fee will also be required once your application is approved.
- Note: The total application fee due will be based on when your signature form arrives at the ABS office, not the date you submit the application form or fee.
5) Documentation of ACLS, ATLS and RPVI - mailed to the ABS office
- Copies of certificates showing that certification in each of these programs was successfully achieved (NOT the CME certificate, but the certification itself). For ATLS, a history report is not acceptable documentation. Applicants do not need to be currently certified in these programs.
Mailing Your Application Materials
- The signature form (with all required original signatures), operative report (if using ACGME report), and other documentation should be mailed in one package to the ABS office (1617 JFK Blvd., Ste. 860, Philadelphia, PA 19103).
- To avoid the late fee, these 4 items must be at the ABS office (not postmarked) by end of business day on the application deadline: (1) application form (via website); (2) operative report (by mail or website, depending on format); (3) entire signature form with all required, original signatures (by mail); and (4) application fee (via website).
- However your application cannot be approved until ALL required items are present. Please submit your application materials promptly so you may schedule the exam at a testing center of your choosing. The longer you wait to complete the application process, the more likely you will have to travel outside your area to take the exam.
- To confirm delivery of application materials, please track your package through your delivery service. Allow 3-4 weeks for mailed items to be marked "Received" on your application page. Due to volume, the ABS staff is unable to confirm receipt of materials until they have been processed. Please keep a copy of all submitted items as the ABS will not furnish copies.
- Tip: If you are sending items overnight, you do not need to purchase "First Overnight" service. Standard overnight is sufficient.
Once all materials are received, your application will be reviewed by ABS staff. You will be notified via email when your application is complete, and again when your application has been approved. Once approved, you will be sent information on how to register for this year's exam and pay the separate exam fee. If there are any problems with your application, you will be notified by ABS staff. Please keep your contact information current - Update Personal Information.
If you have questions, please refer to our FAQs section. For questions not covered in the FAQs, send an email to the exam coordinator.